Your domain name plays a very important role in your business and in building an audience for your brand. In all the conversations that happen on the internet about your brand, your domain name is used to represent you. Just like your business name plays an important role in building an image around your brand, so does your domain name.
It’s likely that your domain name is used in all your emails as well as in all your social media accounts. In this sense, people will use your domain name to refer your brand to others. You need to pick an ideal domain name for your website that aligns with your brand. When you buy domain name for your website, you should keep certain things in mind, so that you select an optimized domain name.
When you want to buy domain name for your website, you need to keep a few things in mind
Here’s a list of things you need to keep in mind when you’re looking at buying a domain name:
- Your domain name should align with your brand name, especially, if you already have a strong follower base offline. You have to make sure that your brand name matches with your domain name.
- You should go for short and simple domain names as they would be easier to remember. Your domain name plays an important role in brand recall and traffic rate. If you’re using a complex and long domain name for your website that’s difficult to pronounce or remember, it might be difficult for your customers to remember it. You may also end up losing website traffic in the process.
- Use keywords in your domain names for better search ranking on Google. Make sure to avoid including hyphens in your domain name. By including hyphens in your domain name, you can end up pushing yourself down the ranks on search engines. As a result of this, your potential customers may not even see your website appear on the search results, let alone visit your website. As such, you should stick to easier, shorter domain names without any hyphens.
- Is your store targeted towards a local community audience? In that case, it may be a good idea to include the name of your locality, city or state in your domain name. You should especially keep this in mind when you’re looking to buy domain name for your website.
- Go for a domain name that’s crisp and catchy, something that your audience will always remember. It should be appealing enough to leave an impression in your audience’s minds.
- Go for a good extension for your domain name. When it comes to extensions there are various options that you can pick from, such as .com, .info, .net, .biz. However, the best extension for your domain name is .com. It’s easiest to remember and thus, makes for an ideal option.
- A very important thing that you need to keep in mind when you want to buy domain name for your website is to check if the domain name you have selected isn’t already taken. Do a quick scan on your domain name to find out if your domain name has already been copyrighted or trademarked. If not, it can turn out to cause a problem for you. You may be penalized for using a domain name that’s already in use.
- If you discover that the domain name that you want to use is already taken, you can either buy it from the domain owner or come up with a different domain name.
- Purchase domain names and different extensions associated with your brand in order to avoid having competitors. Go ahead and buy domain names that are anywhere close to your domain name to prevent competition. If you and another person have closely related domain names, it can lead to diversion of traffic to those other similar-sounding websites.
- Lastly, make sure to select and register for a domain name fast. This is important because you don’t want another business to take away your ideal domain name. The faster you act, the better it will be for your business.
If you have a website with Shopify you can easily buy an appropriate domain name for your store. Shopify will help you come with unique domain names for your website. You can use its name generator feature that will give you several options to choose from. You can also check for availability of the domain name to ensure that some other website isn’t already using it.