When I made this post, I was very uncertain because I rarely ever discuss revenue and how much money I make publicly.
I went ahead and posted it anyway because I wanted to inspire others to start a blog.
Because if you are a business owner today, you simply cannot ignore educating your audience if you want to really build a big trustworthy brand.
And for those who just wanna do blogging as a career, this post will help you get a pretty good idea of some ways you can not only promote your blog and get tons of traffic, but also make money with your blog.
The Benefits of Blogging
So, why blog?
Well instead of going into an in-depth discussion on all of the benefits of blogging, I have decided to just compile a checklist for you guys :)
- Educate your audience
- It helps you establish yourself as an Expert in your industry
- It acts as your resume
- It improves your writing skills
- You become a content producer rather than just a consumer
- You get noticed by other bloggers and establish credibility within the blogging space
- You can pitch to write for other large publications and use your writing as samples
- You get SEO benefits
- You can build up a following on social media by sharing good content with your audience
- Take ideas floating around in your head and get them in writing so you can refer to them later
- Get traffic to your website to and get more exposure for your products and services
- Get paid to write and feature other people and companies
The list just keeps going. I do not think I need to tell you any more to convince you that you need to start blogging :D
So, at this point you are probably wondering: “Well, Rafi, so how do I start a blog? Tell me how to begin, man!”
Okay, first of all, you need to read my post on Addicted2Success on how you can stand out as a new blogger.
But, don’t worry, I am not going to just make you read my older article and leave you hanging with no new information.
So, in this article, I will literally show you how to can pretty much hack your way to success as a new blogger! :)
Kinda like this:
1. Figure out your niche and what you enjoy writing about
This is really important because if you are not passionate about what you are writing about, you are not gonna want to put in 100% and write from your heart.
You are likely to face writer’s block even.
So, before you can even consider being a serious writer, figure out what you wanna write about.
For example, I personally enjoy writing about online marketing and entrepreneurship and so that’s what I write about and that’s my niche!
But, once you have figured out what it is you enjoy writing about and what makes the most sense to write about based in your own expertise, you can begin cranking out some awesome posts!
2. Start adding influential bloggers, editors, people in tech, and other entrepreneurs and industry experts on social media (especially Facebook)
This is HUGEEE!
The thing is that when it comes to getting attention to a new blog fast, you have to have the network of those who are already influential.
You need to get your content in front of those people.
What I have learned, from my own experience, is that connecting with these people over social media is one of the easiest ways to get noticed by them and also for your work to end up in front of them via the newsfeed.
Other platforms where you can connect with them would be LinkedIn and Twitter (you need to Tweet at them).
3. Actually message all of these people you have been adding and start a conversation with them
It makes no sense at all if you add tons of influential people on social media but never reach out to any of them and find out who they are, what they do, and introduce yourself.
So, as soon as these people accept your friend request (which many of them will, because you will have mutual friends with them), you should message them and ask them about what they do.
Tell them what you do and ask how you can help them.
One nice model to follow is to actually ask to work with these people for free for a week or two just to show them how good you are at what you do.
Then, you can eventually pitch them the idea of you working with them on paid projects, etc.
But, I think you should only do this if they are a big Influencer and can really help hack your growth within your industry.
Trust me, even if they do decide not to ultimately hire you for pay, you still will probably learn a lot from working with them.
You now also have a chance to get them as a mentor and get their testimonial.
Totally worth it and definitely also a great way to promote your new blog.
You can ask them to share your latest blog post with their followers too in return for your help.
Don’t be demanding.
4. Guest post. Ask any Influencer if you can guest post on their site
This is probably my #1 hack of all time.
I have wrote an awesome piece on how I use Twitter automation to get guest posting opportunities.
You need to check that article out and follow the steps outlined in that article!
When you guest post on high authority websites in your niche, you tap into a much larger audience than you can initially get with your new blog.
So, by all means, post on other sites and link back to yours.
You get SEO benefits and get the targeted audience you need to kick start your blog in the right direction.
5. Feature Influencers in your blog posts. Then reach out to them and ask them to link to your content and share it with their followers.
It is a really good way for you to leverage the huge followings these influential people have.
They may share it on social media since they have been featured on this article you wrote.
They may decide to email-blast it to their followers.
They may even decide to link to the post from one of their posts.
You get great SEO juice from something like that.
One way to feature big name people in your industry is to do a roundup post where you ask these Experts their opinion on something.
Then use their responses to create your post.
Let’s Sum It All Up
To make a new blog successful, you need to:
- Figure out what you want to write about
- Add your audience and influential people in your industry on social media
- Message the people are have added and start a conversation with them and try to work with these people. Work for free at first if you have to
- Guest post on other high authority sites in your niche
- Feature influential people in your blog posts. Then reach out to them and ask them to share it with their followers
Let me know in the comments below if you have any other good strategies we need to know about! :)