Lets face the fact: Us chess players have our own language that we communicate in. No outsiders allowed in this. If you want to learn our language, you better learn how to play chess first! Below are 26 chess phrases which only make sense if you are a tournament chess player. Enjoy!
1. A Knight on the rim is dim and its chances are slim
2. Sacrifice the Exchange
3. A knight on the 6th is as strong as a Rook
4. A beginner chess player in the USA doesn’t know how the Knight moves. A beginner chess player in Russia is a 1600
5. Playing the Queen’s Gambit Declined
6. Doubling up your Rooks down the half-open c-file
7. Being up several tempos in the Opening
8. Chess players mate better.
9. Castle early so your King doesn’t get a swirly
10. Going for a King hunt early on in the game
11. Fienchetto your Kingside Bishop
12. I move my King back and forth. I move my King back and forth. I move my King back and forth. I move my King back and forth
13. Playing an endgame down 2 pawns against a 2600 on Board 1 with the Black pieces…
14. Rooks behind Passers
15. With a Knight on f8 there is no mate
16. So, I was having dinner with Garry Kasparov. Problem was, we had a checkered tablecloth, and it took him almost 2 hours to pass the salt!
17. Q: Do you prefer sex or chess? A: Depends on the position
18. Lets head over to the Skittles Room and analyze
19. You wanna play some bughouse, blitz, or bullet?
20. I think Carlsen is giving a blindfold simul at the next World Open
21. GG, OTB, G/30 d0, kibitz, patzer, sandbagger, WGM, Qxf7#
22. You just missed a mate in 3!
23. I love playing the Sicilian Dragon, especially with the Kingside fienchettoed Bishop breathing fire down the a1-h8 diagonal
24. How do I defend against the Fried Liver??
25. I can’t believe you fell for that smothered mate…
26. Are you playing in the U1600 or U1800?